Butternut Squash, Kale and Sausage Soup
- 3 Tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 1 – 10 ounce cooked smoked turkey kielbasa sausage (nitrite free) cut into ¼ inch-thick slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large or 4 small minced garlic cloves
- 2 pounds cooked and cubed (into bite sized pieces) butternut squash
- 1 pound cubed yams (sweet potatoes or sunchokes also work well)
- 6 cups chicken broth (may use low salt version)
- 1-9 ounce bag fresh baby kale (spinach or collards work well also)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large, sturdy pot over medium heat.
- Brown sausage in oil.
- Add garlic and onions to pot and cook until translucent, stirring frequently (about 3 minutes).
- Add butternut squash and potato and cook until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add broth and bay leaf, bring to a boil, scraping sides then reduce heat to low and cover, simmering to help combine flavors (about 15 minutes).
- Add sausage to soup and then stirm in Kale or toher greens and simmer until wilted (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper, and paprika (if desired).
- Divide into bowls and enjoy!